Here are more than 100 questions (well… just questions) on Production Planning. Go through it and see as to how many you can answer.
- What are the various organizational structures in the R/3 System?
- Which R/3 organizational structures are used primarily for PP?
- What is the relation between controlling area, company code, valuation area, plant and storage location
- What is the purpose of different material master views?
- Which views are available?
- Which views are used primarily for PP?
- What is the relationship between material master views and individual organizational structures?
- How does the industry sector influence the material master maintenance?
- How does the material type influence the material master maintenance?
- What is the difference between external and internal number assignment and how is it set up in Customizing?
- Which other factors can influence the selection of fields in the material master?
- How can MRP profile and forecast profile be used to optimize material master maintenance?
- How can a material master be reorganized (deleted/archived)?
- Which units of measure can affect processing in the material master (base unit of measure, production unit, order unit, etc.)?
- What is the material status used for and on which levels could it be maintained?
- Review the usage of the following settings?
- MRP group
- MRP type
- Reorder point
- Planning time fence
- MRP controller
- Lot size
- Procurement type
- Special procurement type
- Production storage location
- Backflush flag
- Stock determination group
- Bulk material
- Scheduling margin key
- Safety stock
- Strategy group
- Consumption mode and consumption period
- Availability checking group
- Alternative selection flag
- Dependent requirement flag for individual and collective requirements
- Production scheduler
- Production scheduling profile
- Underdelivery/overdelivery tolerance
- In-house production time (lot size dependent/independent)
- Valuation class
- Price control indicator
- Moving average price/standard price
Bills of Material
- What is determined by BOM usage?
- What technical types of BOM are available?
- Can the technical type of a BOM be changed?
- During which processes will BOM usage and status be considered?
- When would it be useful to make use of a Group BOM?
- What is meant by area of validity and effectivity of a BOM?
- Which item categories are available and what are their specifications?
- What is a sub-item?
- Under which circumstances could a BOM be recursive and what the usage of the recursive indicator?
- What is the usage of the following BOM settings?
- Explosion type
- Relevant to production
- Relevant to costing
- Material provision indicator
- Bulk material
- Production storage location
- What is a work center category?
- What data can be maintained on the various views (basic, default, capacity, scheduling, costing, etc.)?
- What is the purpose of a standard value key?
- What role does the operation control key play?
- What does referencing mean?
- Why to use a work center hierarchy?
- What is a pooled capacity?
- Analyze the usage of the following fields?
- Backflush indicator
- Capacity category
- Formulas for determining capacity requirements
- Rate of capacity utilization
- Relevant to finite scheduling indicator
- Formulas for scheduling
- Location group (move time matrix)
- Queue times (normal and minimum)
- Cost center
- Activity types
- Formulas for costing
- What does a routing define?
- How is a routing structured?
- What task list types are available in the R/3 System?
- What is a routing group and group counter?
- What is a routing sequence, and what types of sequence are available?
- What could be reasons to use sequences?
- What are the various options to assign materials to routings?
- Under which conditions would it make sense to assign components to operations?
- What is a reference operation set?
- How could the lotsize-dependend inhouse production time be calculated and updated into the material master?
- Production Resources/Tools
- What types of PRT are available?
- What is the relationship between PRTs and a routing/operation?
Engineering Change Management
- What are the objectives of Engineering Change Management?
- What is the significance of changes with a history?
- Which PP objects can be managed using Engineering Change Management?
- What is the purpose of an engineering change request/order?
- How is a change master record structured?
- What is a revision level compared to engineering change master?
- Which scheduling options are available, and how do they differ from each other?
- Which time components are taken into account during scheduling?
- How are basic order dates determined?
- How are the scheduled dates determined?
- Which scheduling types are available in lead time scheduling?
- What role do reduction measures play in scheduling?
- What types of scrap can be maintained in PP basic data and how would they be considered during MRP repectively scheduling?
- What is external processing, and what conditions must be fulfilled before external processing can take place?
- What are co-products?
Production Planning – General Issues
- What are the various planning levels available in R/3 PP?
- What are the dependencies between Sales and Operations Planning, Demand Management, Long-Term-Planning and Material Requirements Planning?
Sales and Operations Planning
- What is the purpose of Sales and Operations Planning?
- What is the structure of product groups and how could they be used in SOP/DM/LTP/MRP?
- What is the purpose of proportion factors and aggregation factors within product groups?
- Which planning methods are available in SOP?
- Which sources are available as input data for SOP?
- Which options are available for creating a sales plan in SOP?
- Which options are available for creating an operations plan in SOP?
- What is ‘disaggregation’?
- How could the result of SOP be passed on to different planning tools within the PP planning environment?
- What is the purpose of Demand Management?
- At which points is Demand Management integrated with Sales and Distribution?
- Explain the main strategies in Make-to-Stock as well as in Make-to-Order planning logic. Pay attention to master data settings.
- What does consumption respectively reduction mean in the context of planning strategies?
- What role does the individual/collective requirements indicator in the material master have during make-to-order production?
- What is a stocking level, and how can it be influenced?
- Which types of availability check are available (ATP and check against planning) and what are the characteristics of these checks?
- Explain the link between MRP group, strategy group, strategy and requirement class.
- What settings could be made in requirements classes (on PP as well as on SD side)?
- Explain the purpose of version management in Demand Management?
Master Production Scheduling
- Under which circumstances would you recommend the usage of MPS?
- Compare the functionality of MPS with MRP?
- What is meant by the ‘firming’ of procurement proposals, and how can this effect be achieved?
- What is a planning time fence, and where is it defined?
- What is a manual firming date, and where is it defined?
- How can a planned order be ‘firmed’, and which firming indicators are available in a planned order?
Material Requirements Planning
- What is the purpose of MRP and how does it fit into the PP planning environment?
- How would you organize MRP runs? Discuss the different options
- MRP for a plant – online
- MRP for a plant – in background
- MRP for a material (individual planning) – online
- Which planning types are available (NEUPL, NETCH, NETPL)?
- Which planning parameters are to be set in the application itself?
- What is the function of the planning file?
- What is meant by single-level planning, multi-level planning?
- What is meant by interactive MRP?
- What are the characteristics of an MRP scenario that is performed in simulation mode?
- What is meant by low-level code and how is it considered in MRP?
- What is a net requirements calculation?
- Which buffers can be taken into account for the net requirements calculation in MRP (quantity buffer: safety stock, time buffer: safety time)?
- What does lot-size calculation entail?
- Which lot-sizing procedures are available in the R/3 System (static, periodic and optimizing procedures)? What are the characteristics of these lot-sizing procedures?
- How does the procurement type defined in the material master affect MRP?
- What is backward scheduling? What are the characteristics of backward scheduling?
- What is the difference between basic scheduling and lead time scheduling?
- How are the order due dates determined in basic scheduling?
- How are the order due dates determined in lead time scheduling?
- How does the in-house production time defined in the material master affect scheduling?
- How does the scheduling margin key affect scheduling?
- How are BOMs selected in MRP? Which criteria are taken into account during BOM selection?
- What is a ‘BOM selection ID’?
- How are alternative BOMs selected?
- What is a production version?
- How are routings selected in MRP? Which criteria are taken into account during routing selection?
- What is an MRP list? What is a stock/requirements list? How are these lists structured? What are the differences between these lists?
- What is the function of exception messages?
- What are planned orders?
- What is meant by the individual/collective conversion of planned orders?
- What is meant by “days’ supply” and “receipt days’ supply”?
- How can component discontinuation be managed in MRP?
Production Order Processing – General Issues
- What are the characteristics of work-to-order production?
- What is defined in a production order?
- What is a document type, an order category and an order type?
- What are the various elements that a production order contains?
- Which functions are executed when an order is created?
- What are the various options available for creating an order?
- Describe the system logic during routing selection?
- Describe the system logic during BOM selection?
- At which point in time are reservations generated and what information does it contain?
- What can be achieved by performing the “Read master data” function?
- How could routing sequences be considered during production order creation?
- Describe the conversion of planned orders into production orders with focus on scheduling aspects?
- What happens when an order is released?
- Which operations are made possible and which are prevented when an order is released?
- What is meant by status management?
- What are business transactions?
- What are the differences between system status and user status?
- At which points in time can availability checks be performed? Which settings can be made, and which must be made? On which objects can the availability check be run?
- What is meant by machine commitment?
- What is meant by midpoint scheduling?
- Which shop floor papers can be printed?
- Which print modes are available (online, update, background)?
- What does “reprinting” mean?
- Which conditions must be fulfilled before order documents can be printed?
- Which conditions must an operation fulfill before shop floor papers (and in particular confirmation slips and time tickets) can be printed?
- Which control indicators influence the behavior of the components in the production order (bulk material, backflush, phantom assembly, etc.)?
- What is meant by picking?
- What is meant by stock determination? Which settings have to be made for stock determination during production order processing?
- What is a goods issue posting?How can goods issues be entered (reference to order, reference to reservation, unplanned, etc.)?
- What is the purpose of movement types?
- What are the effects of a goods issue posting from an integrational point of view (MM, FI, CO)?
- What is meant by the backflushing of components and how can this be achieved?
- Which conditions must be fulfilled before confirmations can be entered?
- What is a confirmation?
- Which functions are linked to confirmations?
- Which confirmation procedures are available?
- What data can be entered during confirmations?
- What is a milestone confirmation?
- What is an unplanned milestone?
- What identifies a progress confirmation?
- What role does the control key defined in the operation play during confirmation?
- Is it possible to link a confirmation with a goods movement posting?
- What is a goods receipt?
- What are the effects of a goods receipt posting?
- What is the relevancy of the “delivery completed” indicator?
- What is the function of overdelivery/underdelivery tolerance in the material master play?
- Order Settlement / Archiving and Deleting
- What is meant by order settlement?
- What causes a production order to be debited/credited?
- What is the difference between prelimenary costing and actual costing?
- Which are the usual steps during order settlement?
- What means variance calculation?
- How is an order settled if the header material is a standard price material?
- At which points in time can an order be settled?
- Which conditions must be fulfilled before an order can be archived?
- How are orders archived/deleted?
- What is meant by “residence times”?
Order Information Systems
- Which information systems can be used for order management?
- What are the characteristics of the order information system?
- What are variable object overviews?
- What are the special characteristics of a (multi-level) order report?
- What is the difference between the order information system and the Shop Floor Information System?
- Which functions are available from the order progress report?
- What options are available for automating the processing of orders?
- What role does the production scheduling profile play?
- Describe the most lean production order and the necessary settings to achieve it?
- Which functions could be executed in the mass processing?
- Collective Orders
- What are the characteristics of collective orders?
- How can collective orders be created? Which conditions must be fulfilled?
- What are the advantages of working with collective orders?
- Which functions can be performed on collective orders?
- How is scheduling for a complete collective order done?
- What happens if a date/quantity for an order is changed within the collective order?
Product Cost Planning – General Issues
- What is a cost element (primary/secondary)?
- What is a cost component?
- What is a cost component split?
- Explain the Costing Variant and the main settings in customizing.
- What is a costing type?
- What settings can be done in a valuation variant?
- How is a costing sheet structured?
Base unit costing
- Describe base unit costing
- Which master data are required for base unit costing?
- How can results of BUC be used in further calculations?
Cost estimation without quatity structure
- What is meant by quantity structure?
- Describe costing w/o quantity structure
- Which master data are required for that costing logic?
Cost estimation with quantity structure
- Describe cost estimation with quatity structure
- How can the quantity structure be determined?
- What is activity based costing?
- How could results from standard cost estimation be updated into the material master?
- What happens if stock is on hand during that price update?
Repetitive Manufacturing – General Issues
- What are the differences between discrete manufacturing and repetitive manufacturing?
- What are the characteristics of make-to-stock repetitive manufacturing and make-to-order repetitive manufacturing?
Master Data for Make-To-Stock Repetitive Manufacturing
- What master data are necessary in repetitive manufacturing (material master, bill of material, production line, routing)?
- Describe the the following material master data:
- Repetitive manufacturing indicator?
- Repetitive manufacturing profile?
- Production versions?
- Which object is used to collect the material costs and production activities?
- What are the various options available for establishing a link between the cost collector and the production version of a material? What role doe the repetitive manufacturing profile play here?
Planning Make-To-Stock Repetitive Manufacturing
- What is the planning table in repetitive manufacturing?
- What functions can be executed from here?
- Describe the usage of pull list and stock determination as one of its function.
- Which other ways are available to make sure that sufficient components are provided to the shop floor?
- What does backflush mean in a repetitive manufacturing context?
- Explain the functions of final backflush.
- How can production activities be entered in the system?
- What is meant by post processing list?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of negative stock?
- What does the reporting point backflush procedure entail?
- Which evaluations are available?
- What is a reporting point overview?
Logistics Information System – Data Warehouse
- What is the concept behind the Data Warehouse?
- Which individual information systems does the SAP Logistics Information System comprise?
- What data are evaluated by the information systems?
- What are info structures? What are the characteristics of info structures?
- Is there any relationship between system transaction data and the data in the info structures?
- Which reporting options are available in the SAP Information System?
- What is the difference between evaluations in LIS and evaluations on system transaction data in the PP component?
- What are standard analyses?
- Which navigation options are available in standard analyses?
- Which options in standard analyses can be used to influence the way in which data is presented?
- Which analysis functions are available in standard analyses (ABC analysis, comparisons, classification, etc.)?
Early Warning System
- What is an “early warning system”?
- What are the various applications for the early warning system?
- How can the early warning system be used in standard analyses?
- What is an exception analysis?
- Which options are available for defining that an analysis should be performed at regular intervals?
- Which types of analysis are available in the early warning system (threshold value analysis, trend analysis, planned/actual comparison)?
- What are flexible analyses? What is the difference between flexible analyses and standard analyses?
- What are evaluation structures? What are evaluations?